Andhra chicken fry – Kodi Vepudu recipe
1 to 2 tbsp oil, 1 to 2 spring curry leaves, 2 to 3 green chillies slit or chopped, ½ tsp pepper powder (adjust as desired), 12 cashew nuts powdered finely
For marination :
½ kg chicken (bone - in or boneless), 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 2 large onions (coarsely pulsed in mixer), 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp ghee solid (use 2 tbsp if melted), Salt to taste, 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely.
For Garam masala powder :
2 tbsp Coriander seeds or daniya, 2 inch Cinnamon or dalchini, 8 cloves or laung, 4 green cardamom or elachi, ½ tsp Jeera or cumin, ¼ tsp Fennel seeds or saunf (optional)
Preparation for chicken fry :
- Make a fine powder of the ingredients mentioned for garam masala.
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination along with 2 tbsp, water and garam masala. Set aside for 15 mins
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. Little water can be added while cooking if the chicken turns dry.
- Once cooked, set aside for sometime. This gives the best taste to the chicken fry.
Making chicken fry :
- Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Fry till the leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add the cooked chicken along with the stock..
- Fry on a high flame till all the gravy is absorbed by the chicken.
- Add the cashew powder and pepper powder
- Keep stirring well and fry for 3 to 4 mins or till you get a nice aroma of cashews. The gravy should dry up with masala coated over the chicken.
- Garnish chicken fry with fresh chopped coriander leaves.