Schezwan Chicken Recipe
1/2 kg boneless chicken breasts, 4 Tbsp corn flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp five spice powder, 75 ml oil, 7-8 dried red chillies, 2 tsp finely chopped garlic, 2 tsp finely chopped ginger, 6 spring onions - cut into 1' lengths
For the sauce:
100 ml chicken stock, 2 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp soya sauce, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp Chinese wine/rum, 1/4 tsp five spice powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp of corn flour - in 1 Tbsp stock/ water.
- Coat chicken in corn flour, salt and five-spice powder. Brush off excess.
- Stir-fry the chicken until lightly colored. Remove from pan.
- Pour off all but 3 Tbsp of oil.
- Add chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Cook for 30 seconds before adding onions and all the sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, return chicken to pan, heat through.
- Serve with steamed rice.